The training proposal concerns a course in English for 2 ECTS, 12 hours of lessons, targeted to the students in International Economics & Business Management and aimed at introducing some Business & Predictive Analytics applications using Excel for the analysis of problems faced by internationalized firms.
The course (in English) will be taught by Prof. Maria da Conceição Andrade e Silva (Católica Porto Business School)
and will be divided into the following topics:
1. The concept of Business Analytics (what is it ?, why is it needed ?, what is it good for ?, how can we
implement it? (1 hour)
2. Descriptive analytics (3 hours)
2.1. Visualization, exploration and data analysis
2.1.1. Pivot Tables
3. Predictive analytics (4 hours)
3.1.Predictive models (from causal models to time series models)
3.2. Excel tools for predictive analytics with practical international examples (what if analysis, scenario
manager, data tables) using OECD data.
4. Prescriptive analytics (4 hours)
The teaching module is linked to the topics developed in the teaching of International Industrial Policy.
Classes will be in Sala 1 in the following dates:
November 28, 2019: 9.00-12.00;
November 29, 2019: 9.00-12.00;
December 2, 2019: 8.30-11.30;
December 3, 2019: 9.00-12.00.
Recognition of educational credits (CFU) of type D (free choice activities): the training activity requires a commitment corresponding to 2 ECTS.
The recognition of credits is subject to attending classes and to passing of a final final exam consisting in:
- applying the concepts learned during the module to a database chosen by the student, and
- the preparation of a summary report of the analysis carried out (about 2000 words).