The course "Data Visualization Laboratory" is an optional "type f" activity, which allows to students to obtain 3 CFU, once a final examination is passed. In particular:
- The course is open to all CdL and CdLM students of the School of Economics and Management; in particular to second and third year CdL students.
- Due to the COVID-19 emergency, this year lessons will be delivered online through Zoom meetings. The course has, approximately, 50 places.
- The course will take place in the first semester; there will be just one course.
- Requests for participation will be considered following the registration order; CdL students will have priority over CdLM students. Students are required to participate to the first lesson, or to send an email to the tutor to communicate their absence.
- The frequency to the classes is compulsory. Students are required to attend at least 2/3 of the exercise lessons/tutorial activity in order to be admitted to the final evaluation.
- The course consists of 18 hours of exercise lessons and tutorial activity (plus 2 hours of final examination).
The calendar of the course will be available as soon as possible.
Teacher: to be announced
Registrations are open from the 13th of October 2020 to the 18th of October 2020.
Please, register through the elearning platform (Moodle). Students without a university IT account can ask to be registered by writing an email to the coordinator of the course. All other students must use the procedure on Moodle.
In recent years, Data Presentation has established itself as one of the most requested skill on LinkedIn. At the same time, Tableau and Power BI have established themselves as the reference software for data visualization in the modern data science. In addition to providing an intuitive environment for managing, manipulating and displaying significant amounts of data, these software also provide an easy interface with R, Python and MATLAB, useful for more complex analyzes. The program of the course includes some lessons on Data Visualization and on the software Power BI:
- Databases and data types;
- Selection and analysis of data with the software Excel;
- Managing and structuring data for Power BI;
- Introduction to Data Visualization;
- Power BI capabilities and models of data visualization;
- Implementation of a data visualization model with a dashboard.
|R. O. Ramos, J. Stirrup||Advanced Analytics with R and Tableau||Packt Publishing||2017||9781786460110|
|J. Steele, N. Iliinsky||Beautiful Visualization||O'Reilly Media, Inc.||2010||9781449379865|
|D. Clark||Beginning Power BI: A Practical Guide to Self-Service Data Analytics with Excel 2016 and Power BI Desktop (Edizione 2)||Apress||2017||9781484225769|
|A. Kirk||Data Visualisation: A Handbook for Data Driven Design||SAGE Publications||2016||9781473912137|
|T. Rahlf||Data Visualisation with R: 100 Examples||Springer||2017||9783319497501|
|A. Telea||Data Visualization: Principles and Practice||CRC Press||2015||9781466585263|
|R. Brath, D. Jonker||Graph Analysis and Visualization: Discovering Business Opportunity in Linked Data||Wiley||2015||9781118845844|
|R. Collie||Power Pivot and Power BI: The Excel User's Guide to DAX, Power Query, Power BI & Power Pivot in Excel 2010-2016 (Edizione 2)||Holy Macro! Books||2016||9781615470396|
|R. Sleeper||Practical Tableau: 100 Tips, Tutorials, and Strategies from a Tableau Zen Master||O'Reilly Media, Inc.||2018||9781491977316|
|A. Aspin||Pro Power BI Desktop (Edizione 1)||Apress||2016||9781484218044|
|A. Cairo||The Functional Art: An Introduction to Information Graphics and Visualization (Voices That Matter) (Edizione 1)||New Riders Pub.||2012|
|A. Cairo||The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication||New Riders Pub.||2016||9780321934079|
|E. R. Tufte||The Visual Display of Quantitative Information (Edizione 2)||Graphics Press, Cheshire, Connecticut||2001||9781930824133|
|Tableau Software||Visual Analysis Best practices: Simple Techniques for Making Every Data Visualization Useful and Beautiful||Tableau Software||2018|
Students are required to attend at least 2/3 of the exercise lessons/tutorial activity in order to be admitted to the final evaluation. The final examination, which will take place online through a Zoom meeting, will consist of a written exam, followed by an oral examination, if necessary, on the use of the software Power BI. There will be just one date for the final examination.